The compilation of the Cypriot Collection of the National Archaeological Museum, occurred in various stages from the 19th century onwards, with purchases from the Archaeological Society at Athens (1879) and donations of collectors (1880, 1895, 1897). The enrichment of the Collection continued at the beginning of the 20th century with purchases, donations and through an official exchange program of antiquities (1928). Today, the Cypriot Collection totals to around 850 artefacts, representative of all chronological periods of the Cypriot history and art, from the Early Bronze Age (around 2500 BC) to the Roman times (4th cent. AD).
This permanent exhibition of Cypriot Antiquities of the National Archaeological Museum was inaugurated on March 18th 2009, by Mr Dimitrios Christofias, President of the Republic of Cyprus and Mr Karolos Papoulias, President of the Hellenic Republic. It has been funded by the A.G. Leventis Foundation and it has been supervised by Professor Vassos Karageorghis in collaboration with the National Archaeological Museum.