Wooden funerary box of Irethorus, the prophet of the god Mont.
The box consists of wooden planks joined together with wooden nails and covered with white coating. Its short sides extend into a semicircle. They are designed for the protection of the ushabti. Its shape refers to the type of sanctuaries of Lower Egypt. The painted decoration of the lid bears a representation of a boat and refers to the sacred pilgrimage of the deceased to the burial place of Osiris: Abydos. It comes from the “crypt of the priests of the god Mont” in Deir el-Bahri, which was discovered in 1858 by the French archaeologist Mariette. The office of the prophet was a high priestly title.