The Library

The National Archaeological Museumís Library is the oldest one of the Archaeological Service and one of the most important libraries in the field of antiquity. There are more than 25.000 titles of books, some of them dated from as early as the 17th century. The books and archives cover fields of Archaeology, History of Art, Ancient Religions, Ancient Philosophy, as well as Greek and Latin Literature. Of special importance are the archives from the great excavations of the 19th and beginning of the 20th centuries, and original drawings of the archaeological material.

The inauguration of the Library in the 19th century, at the same time with the foundation of the Museum, resulted from the research needs of the archaeologists who were serving at the National Archaeological Museum. It aims to resolve important scientific issues that arise primarily through the study of the Museumís exhibits. The Library is constantly enriched through donations and book exchanges with Greek and foreign archaeological institutes.

The Library, located at its current place after the Museum buildingís extension in 1939, was renovated in 2008 thanks to the donation of Alexander S. Onassis Welfare Foundation for Social & Cultural Affairs. It is accessible only to the staff of the Archaeological Service of the Hellenic Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs, Culture and Sports, to collaborating researchers or after request.
 
 
 
 
1 | 2
   
     
     
                    
HELLENIC MINISTRY OF CULTURE & SPORTS  
 
  © NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM, 2008-2014
El